A step-by step-guide to make your very own Superhero Mask, including a template!
Making a superhero mask is a brilliant arts and crafts activity at a kids party. It works well during a Moshi Monsters Party (helping the kids become Super Moshis which is what they all want these days) and it works wonders at a general superhero party. Alternatively you can do some yourself in preparation for your kid’s party to give out to all your superhero guests as a prize, as they arrive or to kick off a game like the Moshi Monsters Treasure Hunt.
Here’s what you need:
- card, felt or fabric for the mask itself (card is best if you want to do some decorating)
- elastic chord or lengths of ribbon (if using fabric/felt) for the tie sides
- Pens, paints, glue, sequins, feathers etc to decorate the masks (optional but brilliant fun)
- A print out of this template here (a downloadable pdf ) which is about the right size for a kid’s face – you can always adjust the ties if you have really little ones.
Here’s how to do it:
1) Print out your template onto A4 or Letter size card stock.
2) Colour, paint or decorate the mask as you like. Super Moshis go for a plain red mask usually which makes it very easy, but feel free to mash it up a bit.
3) Cut out the mask, including the eyeholes. Ask a grown-up to help cut out the eyeholes.
4) Punch a pair of holes on either side of the mask. Cut a length of elastic string (about 12 inches long seems to work) and tie the ends around the pair of holes at the sides of the mask.
5) Try it on and adjust the elastic to the right size if needs be.
The felt/fabric version – (looks more authentic and retro, but probably best for a grown-up to do beforehand and not really possible to decorate)
Cut out the template first then draw round it with a pencil onto your fabric. Then cut out the mask and the eye holes, before punching holes for each tie side with the tip of some scissors. Threading some ribbon through either side of the mask looks nice and will make a more comfortable and adjustable tie.
More fun arts and crafts stuff for your party on Amazon: